Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Sivaji The Boss. (of... ????) - Take # 2

I happen to be a regular visitor at the CNN IBN website's blog section. Just about a week ago, I was going through Anuradha Sengupta's latest blog on Sivaji the movie, which she had (well, not-so-aptly) called 'Sivaji! The Boss. of CRAP'. I suggest that you go through the blog to get a hang of the whole situation. Well, even if you choose not to, here's an excerpt of her views on the movie, which pretty much summarizes it. I quote: "Except for some quirky graphics and some stylish sequences - one song in particular that I am going to refer to as the GORA song - which was crazy, funky and scary, Sivaji was the boss. Of crap. And I am the pig. Who followed the herd." Well, comments to the post said it all. As I remember that day (about five days ago), there were close to 165 people who had voiced their opinion to Anu and Boy! They really had voiced it in print! As an after-effect of the comments, most of which said that Anu does not have the right to post such 'personal' views on a media as big as CNN IBN, she promptly started her own "personal" blog, senguptaspeaks.
This blog happens to have a staggering 1769 comments as of now, probably increasing as I write!
'Thank you Sivaji' and 'Life after Sivaji' were follow-ups on CNN IBN by our dear Anu that you would want to read if you haven't already!
Well, so far was a brief of what happened! My take on this is pretty simple - As a global mass media website, CNN IBN website should have refrained from posting that piece. Now that it has happened, I feel Anuradha has done her bit quite well in starting her own "personal" blog and in strongly emphasizing that it's her personal viewpoint that is highlighted and not a public opinion or a movie review. I feel this was where the whole issue went out of control; the fact that readers sub-consciously linked Anuradha's viewpoint with CNN IBN, which again, I think was not wrong! If you post a blog on CNN IBN, it is taken as an official view, and this being a post about a movie, it came out as an absolute film review than a personal viewpoint! But she was prompt enough to highlight this in her response - 'Thank you Sivaji's, point # 1. (What an end to that post - Anu, the pig with balls - a must read for those who haven't!) But here's what I have to say to Anu - I completely and very strongly reject your use of the word 'crap' on a public forum like the CNN IBN. Even if it was, as you say, your personal viewpoint, I do not appreciate your usage of words like 'crap' and 'The pig that followed the herd'. Such lingos may qualify for usage on your personal page, but certainly not on a CNN IBN page, immaterial of what! I think that was devastating for the fan following out there! I feel that as long as folks enjoy the movie, it's a hit, and there are no second thought about it being good as well! Immaterial of its content, of how much 'crap' it has and how much of 'shit' it contains! As long as the 'pig follows the herd', I think the movie has made a mark! And in this case, I feel that Sivaji has done wonders! And I'm sure the fan following grows as we speak. For a fact, I am a huge fan of Amitabh Bachchan but I don't really appreciate / support any form of comparison between the two biggies - the 'Big B' with the 'Boss'. I myself haven't seen the movie, but looking at the reviews and the responses to Anuradha's post here makes me believe that Rajni is no less than Amitabh for me - both are the 'baaps' of all actors.
Come on, Anu - how can you call him or the movie 'crap'! If Rajni is crap because of the many 'unrealistic' acts of his, then I have a few thoughts in mind:
1. Superman is crap as well: How the hell can a man fly!!! 2. Spiderman is crap too: How on earth can a man throw a flurry of cob-webs from his fists! 3. What about our very own Harry Potter: Is it realistic for someone to fly on a broom? Is all this wizard-thingy not crap? - This one can still be exempted, as it's a wizard, and is meant to be unnatural! 4. Isn't the Matrix fame Neo - 'The one' crap too then?
For someone of the stature of Anuradha Sengupta to have opined on a public media channel was, at best immature, I feel! Should I call that a hunt for publicity? I reiterate that as a personal view, she is dead right; she has the right to express anything she wants to, but all that on CNN IBN? - A big NO-NO.
Coming back to the comparison factor, I have here for you a few facts that I could manage on a little bit of a research on the internet, “If I am King, Amitabh is the emperor” were the famous words from the South Indian superstar himself. Now how humble can one get! After a petty comparison by one TV channel, Rajnikant revealed in public that he happens to be a dedicated fan of the Banarasi Babu and that never in his dreams can he appreciate even the slightest of comparisons being made! I personally don't feel there is a need to bring out the statistics for either of the two. They have been Bollywood demigods for me and many all along. But since a comparison is the order of the day, for the benefit of the readers, lets indulge into some of it! ;)
After all, what is it that makes an actor the best in class? Is it his acting? His popularity? His good looks? His height? His voice? His celebrated background? What is it that brings us to a verdict on an actor being the best! This is what makes me think twice when I want to come to a decision on 'Who's the best'!
Rajni and Amitji! Well, is it Rajni? Is it Amitabh? For a few facts on both, attached below is a collated list that I could get to after a little googling and blogging! (I take these as trusted sources, so cannot really question the credibility) Having been an ardent Amitabh fan all my life, statistics like this make me think more than just twice when it comes to a 'Who is the best?' scenario! That question, I guess will remain unanswered for a lifetime.
But at the end of the day, back to where I started, and the whole purpose of this post, I would like to commend and applaud Ms. Anuradha Sengupta for her guts and her style of writing! If you feel for something, go out there and say it! Keeping CNN IBN out of the whole picture, I completely respect Anu's view and at the same time, I add a little fuel to the fire by saying (as a "personal" viewpoint!!!) that I frankly find Rajnikant's character a little 'annoying' at best, but I am silenced by the facts and figures that I myself find hard to believe. I find these figures speaking for themselves. But Anu - not in a lifetime do you owe any apology to the mass for expressing your viewpoint. Just that there could have been a little extra care taken regarding the medium used for the same.
Rajni needs no introduction, nor does Bachchan. Both of them deserve to be there, right at the top and both of them deserve the accolades on their respective crowd-pulling power. Not in the remotest of dreams should we think of comparing the two demigods in their own way. It's like comparing an apple to an orange!
To (B/T)ollywood and all the BOSSES, I doff my hat!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

you almost started off with a dagger in your hand & if I'm to quote you, "I completely and very strongly reject your use of the word 'crap' ... I do not appreciate your usage of words like 'crap'.... I think that was devastating !
God(...oops, Sivaji!) save Anu!

Your 2nd last Paragraph say "...I completely respect Anu's view and at the same time... that I frankly find Rajnikant's character a little 'annoying' at best..." guess Anu finally did manage to get the better of u! Cheers! :)

Anusmita said...

You Know Akshat I saw the movie with a whole gang of ppl who did not know the language at all..but believe me it was completely entertaining..And I admit that we went to the theater with the hope of making some fun of it..but we returned with a changed opinion..The action was superb... Even WWF cannot come up with those fight sequences !! And I saw the movie at Bangkok itself..And it was running there full house for 3 days!! Well He sells!!! So Watch it :-)

Anonymous said...

Not sure if you read her other posts Akshat... let me quote them here...

Not pro Hollywood & Hindi films and anti Tamil films

Many of you have implied and assumed - thought you guys could read because you sure can write :) - that I believe Hindi and Hollywood films are better. Let me disillusion you. I am happy to say that the majority of films from both those spaces are also CRAP. So stop falling back on idiotic, petty and frankly outdated `regional language' fault lines. And that, my dears is a pun.

Prats said...

I am not sure, what is the reason of your disagreement,

1- You liked Sivaji and couldn't agree what Anuradha wrote.

2- You were offended by her comments.

3- You didn't like the idea of the piece coming up on CNN-IBN as it is a mass media.

I have nothing much to say if it is one of the first two cases but if it is the third case then, one must understand the meaning and exclusions of the places in the blogosphere.

CNN-IBN Blog has a disclaimer "All the content posted in the 'IBN Blogs' section, unless specified otherwise, are made by CNN-IBN employees. The content posted in 'IBN Blogs' does not follow routine internal CNN-IBN reviews and editorial processes and should be considered only as the views and opinions of the employees and not of CNN-IBN."

its just that the company provides a net space for its employees to voice its opinion and I firmly believe that Anuradha has a right to her opinion and very well on her company blog she doesnt needs to open up another blog... the people who read blogs should be conscious enough to read the disclaimers and then understand the endorsment of the views.

KT said...

@Prats & Every1

I think it was a combination of 2 and 3. Her usage of the words and that too for a public celebrity should rather have been restricted more in personal conversation, personal diary not an online diary.

I didn't come across this disclaimer but I think CNN-IBN should subject the blogs to editorial review, so that they are journalistically correct if not politically. Every journalist can have their own personal blog where they can rant endlessly but when it comes to blog hosted on a media's website, people more often tend to read it because they want to know the person's stand on a particular topic, which otherwise they can't since he/she always has to appear neutral in any coverage, talk show.

Like I really like Rajdeep Sardesai's blogs. They are always aptly balanced in criticism and praise and you'll really find he speaks his mind on the shows as he does on the blogs. With Anu it seems the opposite.

@ Akshat: I totally disagree with your examples of Superman, Harry Potter and Matrix, these all movies were of science, fantasy, comic genre. What Rajni displays is according to me heightened desire of local man to find a god-like-hero. To me these things look good only in spoof movies like Scary Movie etc.

Abinav Kumar said...

Hey Akshat... I guess, you could do a li'l 'Anu-gate' here, at least as far as number of comments are concerned...

Hmm... a number of threads can be picked up for argument sake here...

1) Rajnikanth - A Maharashtrian, poor family boy... working as a conductor with KSRTC in Karnataka... spotted by K. Balachander, the great veteran director to what he is today... His life has followed the curve that would make a run-of-the-mill early '90s Indian movie... To understand more about this person, you MUST understand that this craze goes much, let me emphasize, MUCH more than his on-screen persona. As an individual, humility or modesty is but a glimpse of what we can see, for his enormous character is hidden behind the facades... His generosity is unparalleled, the works he has done for the poor and the needy in Tamil Nadu. The hospitals he has built, the schools he has built... and no, we would never get this on print anywhere... He is a people's person. People relate to him, because the hand that receives the 35-crore Rs. pay check is the same hand that gives any amount away without being asked twice...

No other film star would roam around sans make-up, even when you are balding... dress as simply as he does... respect every one...

He still has the occasional 'chai' at a road side stall! He gets paid after and only after the film has recovered its costs... for some who don't know...

His previous movie titled Baba was a big flop. The producers lost money... well, with Rajni around... that was not to be... he reimbursed every soul who stood to lose money...

These are just SOME of the reasons why Rajni... is what he is...

Unknown said...

u r with her or against anu?? India is a democratic country and everyone has right to give their opinions- be it good or bad....and dude, why r u even bothered?

Unknown said...

Couldnt agree more with Abinav! Well written.
Well as for ur blog, it was an interesting read no doubt but I have something to add.

A small correction...
1) “They have been Bollywood demigods for me” . Rajnikanth isn’t from Bollywood.

2) It shd be (B/K)ollywood instead of (B/T)ollywood.

Its high time people realize that there are the Kamals, Rajnis, Mohanlals, Mammootys, Chiranjeevis in the industry not to mention. There is much more happening in India.

This could evoke some controversy but going by the collections, the recent hits and the craze people have,I feel Rajni is the undisputed king and getting better with age. I saw a pic in rediff where one fan does skydiving with a Sivaji banner.Incredible!!
As they say the older the wine the sweeter it is!

Anush said...

I support the freedom of expression bit and yes , everybody has a right to express an opinion ... but before expressing opinion in a public forum like CNN-IBN blog it would be better if the author had given her take sans the biases / viewed the movie without the pre-concieved notions.
The article was definitely of a very bad taste ... it was full of biases and shows how narrow her views are and shows herself in poor light !

She has made the mistake most people make concerning Ranjikant movies. Its not about the movie , its about the man they call superstar ! Rajni has superceded the actor status and has become a phenomenon in Tamil Nadu ... A Rajni movie is not a movie , its more like a festival ... check this out(my take on Sivaji )
http://justtheusual.blogspot.com/2007/06/sivaji-sharjah.html
~Anush

Jaydeep H said...

I think abinav is digressing from the main topic here..
Agreed that Rajni is a great human being !!! but to pen down his greatness a separate blog is necessary [:)]

Prats has mentioned abt the disclaimer put on the blogpage of cnn-ibn..but still i agree with akshat's viewpoint that harsh words should not be used on the page hosted @ cnn-ibn's official site..

I havnt watched that movie yet but as far as the opinions are posted abt it, i guess everyone needs to watch the movie before making comments on it..n i'll make sure that akshat also comes with me to watch it !!! [:)]

keep writing buddy....

Iceman said...

Dude....feels like u had something totally different 2 say...but decided on being politically correct! but otherwise....pretty dam gud!

amit said...

Is the issue freedom of expression or whether Amitabh is a bigger star than Rajni ?

Neway I will try and put down something on the later part of the question.

a) Ask A true Bong (intellectual) and the answer would be "Satyajit Ray/Uttom Kumar is the best...have you see Mahanagar...ki Darun”..Now if you don't agree the Bong will go on strike..Kolkatta Bondh.

b) Ask a Gulti and the answer would be, “What ra ? Chiru is the best”...fans of Krishna,balakrishna,junior NTR,NTR,ANR will get angry at this and they will fight in Guntur and 2 will die in police firing

c) Ask a Kanadiga -> well you will get one answer...”Yen re Maaga Dr. Rajkumar is the best”. If you don't agree then they will break public property in Bangalore and the city will come to a standstill.

d) Ask a Gujju and he will say Bhai jo kaam pasie mein jo jayad fayada deta hai he is the bestest

e) Ask a Mallu and he will say the “uncle factor” the most important ingredient of a hero is only present Mamooty and Mohanlal hence they are the best. Again if you don’t agree they too go on a strike

The point is ….well I guess you get the point….so watch a movie and enjoy!!!!